Giant Eagle Market District at Grandview Yards
This 100,000 square foot grocery store was the prototype for the new Giant Eagle Market District concept. The DLA+ design team re-imagined the appearance of a grocery store taking inspiration from nearby historic produce warehouse architecture of the original Columbus “market district,” with design features celebrating that legacy.
- TOP PROJECTS
- Pennsylvania State University East Halls: Stuart Hall
- Pennsylvania State University East Halls: Earle Hall
- Pennsylvania State University East Halls: Martin Hall
- Giant Eagle Market District at Grandview Yards
- The Residences Pittsburgh at 3 PNC Private Residence 2
- Clarion University Tippin Gymnasium & Natatorium Renovation
- Penn State Bryce Jordan Center Basketball Suite Renovations
- Petersen Sports Complex Addition
- Petersen Events Center Basketball Suite Renovations
- 2015 Retail Facilities Honor Award of Excellence - Ohio Masonry Association
- LEED Silver
- AETOS Construction Company / Giant Eagle
- Interior Design
- Construction Administration
- Completion Date
- August 2014
- Project Size
- 100,000 SF
Project Challenges and Outcomes
Design a grocery store that not only reimagined the appearance of this big-box retail store, but created a completely different consumer shopping experience.
On the building exterior are large multi-pane windows and red brick with a striking steel canopy defining and covering an outdoor shopping area and displaying the new brand and signage. The all too familiar monolithic grocery store facade has been transformed into a dynamic outdoor market.
Inside, warm rustic tones, exposed brick, and reclaimed wood express comfort and familiarity to the shopper. The outdoor seating for the café includes a sunken patio complete with lounge furniture, a fire pit and a water feature to give the patrons the experience of dining at a local restaurant.
Overall, this new prototype store not only creates a shopping experience, but also a dining experience, a social experience and an event space. It has transformed the experience of a grocery store from a chore to an enjoyable destination.